Early Adjustment to COW
International students, begin your adventure at the College of Wooster with our Wooster International Immersion Seminar! This program is designed to intensely prepare international students for the transition into an American college setting. Students will develop academic, social, and cultural skills and insights that will help them make deep and early connections with their college classes and community.
International students who take this seminar will:
- Earn 0.5 course credits (1/2 semester course) upon successful completion
- Concentrate in either Critical Academic Skills or Academic English Skills
- Meet and talk with Wooster professors
- Make connections with new Wooster friends before your first semester
- Be introduced to the American college system and expectations
- Practice various academic skills, such as writing college-level papers and reading class materials
- Understand how to interact with American peers and Wooster professors
- Learn about available resources at Wooster
- Gain confidence for starting college life
- Have an advantage for their first year GPA
Summer 2021 Format
Traditionally, the Wooster International Immersion Seminar has been held as an in-person immersive experience, and we hope to return to this format in August 2021! Any changes to this year’s WIIS class format from in-person to hybrid or remote will be announced if new public health guidelines or safe campus requirements are announced.
Who should attend?
The Wooster International Immersion Seminar can benefit any new Wooster international student! Students whose most recent TOEFL score is below 96 or whose IELTS score is below 7 are strongly encouraged to register for this program and concentrate in Academic English Skills. Students with test scores above TOEFL 95 or IELTS 7 are also welcome to apply and concentrate in Critical Academic Skills. If TOEFL or IELTS scores are not available, students should contact Carla Reyes for English language assessment instructions.
We strongly encourage you to register for this program to begin building your community and support network that will help you be connected to Wooster and navigate any challenges you may encounter in your first semester!
The $2900 fee for this year’s WIIS includes tuition and room & board fees. This fee will be added to your student bill in the fall.
When is the WIIS?
The Wooster International Immersion Seminar is held immediately before fall orientation activities. See below for this year’s important registration and arrival dates.
|Wooster International Immersion Seminar|
|July 30-August 17, 2021|
|Deadline to Complete your WIIS Enrollment||June 28, 2021|