Thank you for considering The College of Wooster in your search.
About The College of Wooster:
Wooster offers an excellent, comprehensive liberal arts education, culminating in a rigorous senior project, in which each student works one-on-one with a faculty mentor to conceive, organize and complete a significant research project on a topic of the student’s own choosing. Through this distinctive program, every Wooster student develops abilities valued by employers and graduate schools alike: independent judgment, analytical ability, creativity, project-management and time-management skills, and strong written and oral communication skills. Founded in 1866, the college enrolls approximately 2,000 students.
The College offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes: Health, Dental, Retirement, and Tuition Remission.
To work at the Underground when it is open for UG-sponsored events, private events, and co-sponsored events. During a shift, the employee works as a bartender or door host.
- Prepares the facility for opening and closing, including setting up and breaking down the bar, arranging furniture, and spot cleaning.
- Serves beer and concession items at the bar.
- Cleans bar, work areas, and stables.
- Stocks the bar area.
- Monitors student behavior.
- Watches for weapons, outside alcohol, or other illegal items being brought in to the facility.
- Assists the Student Managers and Security in regulating high risk drinking by monitoring students who are rowdy, ill, and underage.
- Admits and monitors customers as they enter and leave the establishment while maintaining order at the door.
- Verifies age requirements and validity of the ID being presented for purchase of alcohol.
- Provides quality customer service.
- Handles money and works cash registers behind the bar and at the door.
- Enforces College of Wooster policies as well as federal, state, and local laws.
- Works closely with Security and Protective Services.
- Attends required staff meetings and training.
- Primary responsibility will be crew but will be cross-trained on other UG positions.
Working Conditions/Job Hazards:
- Indoor work environment
- Light to medium physical labor/exertion
- Exposure to chemicals/dust/fumes
- Must be a student at the College of Wooster.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must be reliable, self-motivated, friendly, trustworthy, assertive, and conscientious.
- Must be capable of handling stressful situations, thinking on your feet, and troubleshooting.
- Must be able to work as a team member with a diverse group of students under pressure and in crowds.
- Must be comfortable working with money.
- Must be able to work evenings/nights especially weekends and other special events.
- Must be able to provide references.
- Must be 18 years of age to serve alcohol.
- Must be able to pass College of Wooster judicial background check.
The College of Wooster does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex/gender, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, political affiliation, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin (including ancestry), citizenship status, disability, age, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy, or by state, local, or federal law. All offers of employment are subject to verification of the legal right to work in the United States as required by federal law. The College of Wooster is committed by policy and practice to diversity, equity and inclusion. For more information on our nondiscrimination policy visit: https://www.wooster.edu/info/nondiscrimination
- Immediate Supervisor: Student Managers and Staff Supervisor
- Supervision received: Close
- Employees gain valuable communication skills while working with students, faculty, and staff that will be helpful in future positions. Employees will gain experience in assertiveness through staff training and on-the-job experiences. This is an exciting and challenging position that gives students experience in business operations. In addition, Underground staff members work together as a team providing their peers with a fun and safe place for entertainment and socializing.
For the highest consideration please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of 3 professional references which include name, telephone number, and email address.