Thank you for considering The College of Wooster in your search.
About The College of Wooster:
Wooster offers an excellent, comprehensive liberal arts education, culminating in a rigorous senior project, in which each student works one-on-one with a faculty mentor to conceive, organize and complete a significant research project on a topic of the student’s own choosing. Through this distinctive program, every Wooster student develops abilities valued by employers and graduate schools alike: independent judgment, analytical ability, creativity, project-management and time-management skills, and strong written and oral communication skills. Founded in 1866, the college enrolls approximately 2,000 students.
The College offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes: Health, Dental, Retirement, and Tuition Remission.
To work at the Underground (UG) when it is open for campus activities, private rentals, and co-sponsored events. During a shift, employees check IDs, monitor student behavior, serve as a door host, provide security to ensure and maintain a safe environment for patrons.
- Admits and monitor patrons as they enter and leave the establishment while maintaining order at the door.
- Watches for weapons, alcohol, or other illegal items being brought into the facility.
- Assists in verifying the validity of the ID being presented.
- Prevents non-Wooster students from entering without a College of Wooster student and signature in the guestbook.
- Assists the Student Manager and Crew in regulating high-risk drinking by monitoring students who are rowdy, ill, and underage.
- Patrols the establishment to control underage drinking, outside alcohol, and student behavior to ensure a safe environment.
- Prepares the facility for opening and closing, including setting up and breakdown the bar area, arranging furniture, and spot cleaning.
- Enforces College of Wooster policies as well as federal, state, and local laws.
- Works closely with Security and Protective Services.
- Attends required staff meetings and training.
- Primary responsibility will be secure but will be cross-trained on other UG position
Working Conditions/Job Hazards:
- Indoor work environment
- Light to medium physical labor/exertion
- Exposure to chemicals/dust/fumes
- Must be a student at the College of Wooster.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must be able to work as a team member with a diverse group of students under pressure and in crowds.
- Must be trustworthy, assertive, self-motivated, and reliable.
- Must be capable of handling stressful situations, thinking on your feet, and troubleshooting.
- Must be able to work evenings/nights, especially weekends and other special events.
- Must be able to provide references.
- Must be 18 years old to handle alcohol.
- Must be able to pass College of Wooster judicial background check.
The College of Wooster does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex/gender, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, political affiliation, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin (including ancestry), citizenship status, disability, age, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy, or by state, local, or federal law. All offers of employment are subject to verification of the legal right to work in the United States as required by federal law. The College of Wooster is committed by policy and practice to diversity, equity and inclusion. For more information on our nondiscrimination policy visit: https://www.wooster.edu/info/nondiscrimination
- Immediate Supervisor: Student Managers and Staff Supervisor
- Supervision received: Close
- Employees gain valuable communication skills while working with students, faculty, and staff that will be helpful in future positions. Employees will gain experience in assertiveness through staff training and on-the-job experiences. This is an exciting and challenging position that gives students experience in business operations. In addition, Underground staff members work together as a team providing their peers with a fun and safe place for entertainment and socializing.
For the highest consideration please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of 3 professional references which include name, telephone number, and email address.