Responding and Reflecting: Essential Matter for families
What am I looking at?
Questions to reflect on:
- What does it mean for a tradition to be passed down or spread?
- Does it change meaning in different people’s hands?
- Which piece of artwork reminds you of a tradition or an object that has been passed down in your family?
- How has that tradition changed over time?
How do I talk about this art?
Vocabulary to know:
- tradition- the passing on of customs or beliefs from generation to generation.
- crazy quilt- a patchwork quilt of a type traditionally made in North America, with patches of randomly varying sizes, shapes, colors, and fabrics.
- story quilt– A story quilt is a material quilt with pictures, sound, scents, and textures that are used to tell a story.
Where should I start?
- Use paper to create a ‘paper quilt’ of your favorite place to be
- Use fabric, fabric paint, beads, etc. to create a quilt square that represents you
- Have each family member create one to make a mini quilt
Artists to check out: