Students who transfer course credits from other accredited institutions to The College of Wooster should be aware of the following policies and procedures.
- Each College of Wooster course unit (1.000) is valued at 4 Semester hours or 6 Quarter hours.
(Transfer credit examples: 3 Semester hour courses transfer to Wooster as .750 credits; 5 Quarter hour courses transfer to Wooster as .833 credits)
- An official transcript is required for all transfer work.
- The grade for each course must be a C or better to be accepted by The College of Wooster.
- The course(s) must be appropriate for The College of Wooster degree requirements.
- The transfer courses must come from accredited institutions.
- The chair of an individual department determines how transfer credits count toward the fulfillment of The College of Wooster degree requirements.
Transfer Credit that is Not Accepted at The College of Wooster
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Participation in programs sponsored by the National Outdoor Leadership Schools (NOLS)
- Participation in programs sponsored by the Semester at Sea
- Transfer courses or proficiency scores that are submitted for subjects that appear to be equivalent.
- Transfer courses that are not compatible with Wooster’s curriculum.
Transfer Credit that Is Accepted at The College of Wooster
Credits awarded for the below listed categories are dependent on the scores received by the student and by the subjects included in the Wooster curriculum.
- British Advanced-Level Examinations (A-Levels): Marks of A or B are considered.
- International Baccalaureate (IB): Scores of 5, 6 or 7 are considered for Higher-Level Examinations.
- Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE): Scores of I, II, or III are considered.
- Advanced Placement (AP): Scores vary based on the subject of the exam.
Amount of Allowed Transfer Credits
First Year Students are allowed to transfer in up to 8 course credits (32 semester hours) of transfer work. Transfer work includes AP, CAPE, IB, A-Levels and courses taken at other colleges and universities. To have an unofficial evaluation of credits for possible transfer to The College of Wooster, have an official transcript sent to Kristine Jamieson, Associate Registrar for evaluation.
Transfer Students are allowed to transfer in up to 16 course credits (64 semester hours) of transfer work. Transfer work includes AP, CAPE, IB, A-Levels, and courses taken at other colleges and universities.
Processing Transfer Work from Other Institutions
- Meet with your academic adviser prior to enrolling to determine whether the transfer work is appropriate for degree requirements.
- When possible meet with the relevant department chairs and present the course description(s) from the institution’s catalogue to acquire pre-approval for transfer course work you wish to have counted for degree requirements.
- When seeking approval after course work is completed, be prepared to share a complete portfolio of work completed for each course (for example: syllabi, exams, papers, etc).
- Complete a Transfer Credit form for each course you hope to have count towards Wooster degree requirements. The Department Chair will return the completed Transfer Credit form to the Office of the Registrar. If you only need the transfer credit to count as elective credit toward degree completion, this form does NOT need to be completed.
- The Registrar will enter the applicable credit and notify the student and the academic adviser.