If you or a friend has experienced sexual or gender-based assault or misconduct:

1. Go to a safe location as soon as you are able.

2. Seek immediate medical attention

If you are injured or believe you may have been exposed to an STI/STD or potential pregnancy, seek immediate medical attention. 

Call the Longbrake Student Wellness Center at 330-263-2319 or the nearest hospital.

3. Contact any of the following for immediate assistance

On campus: Security and Protective Services 330-263-2590

Off campus: Dial 9-1-1

4. Preserve physical evidence

Physical evidence can deteriorate quickly. Seek a medical exam as soon as possible. Avoid washing, bathing, urinating, etc., if possible. If you are still wearing clothing worn during the assault, wear them to the hospital, but bring a change of clothes. The hospital will keep them as evidence. If you have changed clothes, bring the ones you were wearing during the assault in a clean paper (not plastic) bag or wrapped in a clean sheet. Leave sheets/towels or other evidence at the scene of the assault. Police will collect them. 

Evidence collection should be completed within 120 hours of an assault, but fluids, hair samples, and DNA may be collected for a long time thereafter.

After 120 hours, it may still be helpful to have medical attention even if you are not trying to obtain evidence of an assault. 

Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) are trained in the collection of forensic evidence and can check for injuries and exposure to sexually transmitted infections. 

5. Choose how to proceed.

You have options :

  1. Do nothing until you are ready;
  2. Pursue resolution by the College by reporting an incident; and/or
  3. Initiate criminal proceedings; and/or
  4. Initiate a civil process against the perpetrator.

You may pursue whatever combination of options is best for you.

If you wish to have an incident investigated and resolved by Wooster, students and employees should contact the Title IX Coordinator and procedures will be explained.

Those who wish incidents to be handled criminally should contact the local police where the assault occurred. A campus official is available to accompany students in making such reports if desired. Contact the Title IX Coordinator or Campus Safety for more information.