** Make an appointment with ISS and have all items completed and prepared before your appointment. Incomplete OPT packets will be delayed **
ISS can only recommend OPT for you – the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must then adjudicate it.
For regulatory information, check out the USCIS OPT webpage.
___ Form I-765
___ New I-20 for OPT
___ Copies of all previous I-20s
___ Academic Progress Report
___ Copy of the name page and photo page of your passport
___ Copy of visa page
___ Print out your most recent I-94
___ Copies of all previously issued Employment Authorization Documents (EAD cards) – front and back if applicable
___ Two (2) recent color passport photographs
___ Application fee
- You may apply up to 90 days prior to the completion of your program and up to 60 days following your program end date.
- The OPT application must be properly filed with the appropriate USCIS center within 30 days of the date that we prepare your I-20 for OPT. For more information, contact Jill Munro.
- You can select the starting date of employment any time within 60 days after your program completion date. You will discuss this more with Jill during your OPT meeting.
Complete and sign the form I-765. If you choose to handwrite the information, use black ink.
Email the completed form to yourself so we can access it during your appointment.
Do NOT use E-File.
Item #16: the code for post-completion OPT is (c) (3) (B).
Use the following as your application address:
The College of Wooster
1189 Beall Avenue/CDI
Wooster, OH 44691
New I-20 for OPT
Photocopy all THREE pages. During your appointment, we will:
- Determine your requested starting date for employment, which may be no more than 60 days after the program end date
- Submit your employment request into SEVIS
- Print your new I-20. You will keep the original and the copy will be submitted as part of your application
Academic Progress Report
The academic progress report (part of the OPT Overview packet ) requires secure signatures from BOTH the Registrar and your I.S. Advisor(s).
Copy of Name & Photo Pages of Passport
If the extension of validity of the passport is on another page, be sure to include a copy of that page also.
Copies of All EAD Cards
You would only have an EAD card if you have previously been approved for off-campus employment through OPT or economic hardship in the past.
These photos must be taken within 30 days of filing your OPT application, and must conform to USCIS specifications.
You can have these photos taken at Walmart, Rite Aid, Buehlers (Milltown), or here on campus in the bookstore.
Be sure to write your name and I-94 number on the back of each photo in pen.
Make your check or money order for $410 payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”. Personal checks must have the account holder’s name and current address printed on them.
If writing a check, write “OPT processing” on the memo line.
Material on this Web site is general and for informational purposes only. It does not constitute or replace professional legal advice, and you should not rely on it solely when making decisions about your immigration status or reporting requirements.